I’ve taken a far-too-long hiatus from Battle: Yum, but what a way to come back–with a grilled cheese battle! I love grilled cheese, and I love to play with add-ons to my grilled cheese. Grilled American, bacon, and tomatoes was an early favorite my mom introduced me to. Grilled cheddar and avocado is beyond reproach. A few years ago, I went through a grilled fruit and cheese phase, where I grilled about every possible combination of cheese, fruit, and jellies/jams.
Lately, though, I’ve been all about vegetables, all the time. Just can’t get enough! And my favorite way to cook veggies is to roast them. Besides the time to cut them up, it’s such an easy way to prepare vegetables, and almost universally delicious. Change up the seasonings, the vegetables you use, and you get a totally different flavor.
So, I decided to do a grilled cheese take on the ever-popular veggie wrap. Lots of veggies, some cheese, and grilled instead of wrapped. Wowie Zowie! The grilling really added some great flavor. Figuring it would be messy, I used pita bread instead of sliced bread so everything wouldn’t fall out. And I cooked it on a George Foreman grill, which has become my favorite way to grill sandwiches (and really, the only thing I ever use my George Foreman grill for anymore!)
I made this for my husband and my in-laws. It was a hit all around, and nice because we could all customize our sandwiches with what we like. If you make this, feel free to change up as you like. I can already tell this is getting added to my summer meal rotation, when I’m getting tons of CSA veggies–I’ll just throw whatever veggies are in the box onto a sandwich!
Grilled Goat Cheese and Roasted Veggies Pita
- Mixed veggies, cut into small dice or julienned. I used portobella mushrooms, red onions, asparagus, eggplant, carrots, sweet potato, broccoli, and zucchini. It was a totally delicious combo, but made a TON, even though I used the smallest veggies I could find. Filled 4 large sandwiches, and I have enough to make at least 2 more sandwiches. Which is fine with me, because I know what I'll have for lunch tomorrow!
- Olive Oil (generous drizzle...maybe 2 tablespoons?)
- Balsamic Vinegar (generous drizzle...maybe 2 tablespoons?)
- Dried Rosemary (sprinkle over cut veggies...maybe a teaspoon worth)
- Dried Thyme (again, sprinkle over cut veggies...maybe a teaspoon worth)
- Cracked pepper to taste, and salt (optional)
- Sliced Tomato (2 or 3 slices per sandwich)
- Goat Cheese
- Olive tapenade or olive bruschetta or any kind of prepared olive spread, or even sliced olives (optional)
- Pita Bread (half a round for each sandwich)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread diced or julienned veggies of your choice on a large tray. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix it all up.
Roast the veggies until they're done to your liking. It's going to depend on the size of your pieces, and what veggies you choose. Mine took about 20 minutes.
Take a pita bread half, and spread goat cheese inside the bottom side. Add a few slices of tomato, then a generous helping of veggies. Spread some olive tapenade inside, then add some more goat cheese to the inside of the top of the pita bread.
Grill sandwich in a George Foreman grill, panini maker, or in a dry pan on the stovetop. When the cheese is all melty and gooey and the bread is toasty, you're done. Enjoy!