These cupcakes are meant to look like apples! They are made of honey cake and filled with sauteed apples, so they are my twist on apples and honey, the traditional food to wish for a sweet new year. These cupcakes were fun and tasted good, but the girl said that the donuts on top made the whole thing difficult to eat. I’m not a big cupcake person, but I LOVED the honey cake “cookies” that I cut off the tops!
I would recommend creating a stem and leaves out of tootsie rolls (as shown in “What’s New, Cupcake?“) so it’s more clear they are supposed to be apples. My icing was a little too pink, and needed more red coloring.
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 6 mini donuts
- vanilla icing
- red food coloring, a few drops
- red sugar crystals
- tootsie rolls or pretzels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin pans with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in baking powder and salt, then 3/4 cup of flour.
- Combine milk and lemon juice, and mix into batter. Add honey and vanilla.
- Mix in remaining 3/4 cup of flour.
- Fill red cupcake liners about 2/3 full using an ice cream scoop.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, then cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool.
- Sautee the apples in butter until browned. Add 2 Tbsp sugar so the apples get coated.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool, cut off the top of the cupcake to make it flat. This top part makes a very good cookie... yum.
- Cut out the "core" of the cupcake and fill it with sauteed apples. Cut a donut in half, put icing on the cut side, then layer on top of the cupcake.
- Color the icing red with the food coloring. Ice the cupcakes and top with red sugar crystals. Add a stretched-out tootsie roll as a stem, or just use a pretzel. If you have a green tootsie roll to form a leaf, all the better!